Thursday 3 March 2011

Mont-St-Michel on a cloudy summer day

Here is a small painting I just finished of the Mont-St-Michel in France. I fancied a bit of drama so this was the perfect subject to paint. There is something quite impressive and almost spooky about this place...

Mont-St-Michel on a cloudy summer day    oil on board  10"x8'

It all comes from a trip in France last summer. We were on our way back home and didn't have the time to stop so all I could do is take a picture. One day I'll go back, visit it and paint it from life.



As you can see, I decided to replace the road with grass as I thought it gave me power to the subject.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to see this in person. We had a painting in my high school's office of it that I always remember. You are fortunate to have such a great variety of interesting things and places to paint, all within a fairly close area.

    ReplyDelete