Tuesday 12 March 2013

Bath views from Oldfield Park

Here are a couple of winter scenes I painted just around the corner from where I live. I'm loving those views over Bath and the warm and cool tones of winter landscapes.

Bath views from Oldfield Park   12"x10"  oil on board 

The painting above was done in a local playground but there was hardly anybody around because it was such a cold day. I picked a composition that included the views, the trees, the foreground grass and the swirly path that leads the eye of the viewer.




It was a beautiful sunny day but every now and then a big cloud would cast a shadow on the distant views of the city so I decided to "freeze" this moment on my painting: 

detail

I like the idea that small parts of my paintings can be treated as abstract work:

detail

Below is painting done on an other day on the top of my street. This is the same view as one of my snow painting if you remember (click here to see it). 


Bath views from the top of Ivy avenue  16"x9"  oil on board



There was a lovely pink light and the houses in the distance in Bath stone really caught the sunlight. I was really cold when I painted this and at some point towards the end I couldn't carry on so I rushed back home and added the last details from memory from the warmth of my studio...


detail


4 comments:

  1. I love the way you make pictures in your immediate vicinity. You are right in highlighting the wonderful abstract shapes that are a tribute to your lovely brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mick for the lovely comment. Glad you like the abstractness of it. I think I want to go more and more abstract until I get the essence of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful painting and photos of your part of England. I was surprised how green it is. Your greens really do justice to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Douglas! That landscape is indeed quite green thanks to some evergreen bushes and trees and the grass getting plenty of rain! :-)

      Delete