Thursday 24 April 2014

Studies of South Africa

My sister is currently living in South Africa with her family and she recently posted on Facebook some great pictures of the Welgevonden game Reserve in Waterbeg. Since I can't travel very far to paint for the moment and I'm a little bit home bound with the baby, it seems that little studio studies are perfect to keep me busy. Louisa is quite good when it comes to naps so I now try to paint every morning in my loft studio when she is napping. If given the choice, I always prefer painting in plein air in front of the subject, but I still do enjoy working from photographs every now and then. And there is the added bonus that I won't be eaten by lions in this case.

Here are the three little south african studies alongside the original photographs (rather loosely based on):


Réserve Welgevonden game - Waterberg, South Africa (1)  8"x8" oil on board 

The original photograph




Réserve Welgevonden game - Waterberg, South Africa (1)  8"x8" oil on board

The original photograph



Réserve Welgevonden game - Waterberg, South Africa (1)  8"x8" oil on board

The original photograph



Sometimes, Louisa wakes up when I'm in the middle of the painting, so I just bring her upstairs and keep her busy with toys while I keep painting! 
  



I now only use water-based oils and non toxic pigments so it is safe for her to be in the same room while I paint. 

I have been doing some large studio work too so I will be posting more pictures soon.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work Valerie. Especialy having the baby to contend with, full mark`s there.
    All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfekt günstig uhren, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of perfekt günstig omega seamaster uhren, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete